SPORT MANAGEMENT AT UGENT
After their bachelor years, students in Physical Education and Movement Sciences at Ghent University can choose to do a master in Sport Management. During 2 years, students will follow several sport management course and become professional sport managers. They will develop management skills like responsibilty, leadership, entrepreneurship, and many more. Theoretically, they will be further educated in the most important sport management domains like strategic marketing, infrastructure, legal aspects, event management, etc. Students learn also how to transfer knowledge into practise through internships, a small business project and a business game. Delivering high quality, hands-on sport managers, ready for the job market is the dedication of the Sport management group of Ghent University.
Specific management courses
Small business projects
In the first year of their masters, students organize a real life sport event in a team of 4-5 students. Every year, exceptional projects are being delivered and students get the honour to offer their profits to a good cause.
Students are offered the opportunity to do internships both in the first and in the second year of their masters. Whether in private, public or commercial organizations, students are sent out in the field, to take up a real life task and responsibilty in the area of sport management.
LIFE AFTER UNIVERSITY?
BELGIAN OLYMPIC ACADEMY
Every 2 years Ghent University, Louvain University and the Belgian Olympic and Interfederal Committee organise the Belgian Olympic Academy, a unique course in sport management. The BOA provides an intensive educational programme with the purpose of improving the quality of management in sport organisations by means of sharing the newest insights and raising the leadership qualities and management skills of the participants.
The program takes one year and starts on January 30th, 2020. It is speard over 5 modules of 2 days 09am (day 1) to 5pm (day 2). The modules take place in various centres of Sport Vlaanderen/ADEPS (Genk, Blankenberge, Froidchapelle, Spa en Gent). We start in the head quarters of the BOIC and hold the closing seminar in Sportimonium. The program also contains a 3-days study excursion to Lausanne where we are guests at the International Olympic Committee.
A unique package:
1) National and international professors and experts provide lectures on innovative management topics, answering to the specific needs of sport organisations in a 50/50 balance between theory and practise.
2) The residential module system allows to combine education with social activities and networking.
3) The BOA also contains a 2 days business game in which participants will be divided in groups to solve a real life case. To solve the business challenge, they will need to transfer al acquired knowledge into practise.
4) The study excursion to Lausanne entails a visit to the IOC headquarters, the headquarters of many international sport federations and the World Antidoping Agency.
5) During the year, students work on a project in or outside their own organisation.
One of the strenghts of the BOA is the strong network. "The BOA club" alumni association offers a great opportunity for BOA' ers to stay in touch and meet colleagues that are equally passioned by sport and management.
Contact the sport management team
0032 9 2646475
You can also request more information via this form: